Michael Freeman

Mike has been a strong supporter of Alabama Water Watch for many years, and serves as an AWW Association Board member, an AWW water monitor and an AWW volunteer trainer!

New Picture

Let’s get to know Mike a bit better:

1. Tell us about yourself –  where you live, favorite waterbody, job/field, pastimes:
Live: Auburn, AL; Job/Field: Environmental Management, Compliance, and Mitigation at Auburn University; Bio: Originally from Easley, South Carolina (Home of the Green  Wave) where I was involved in the outdoors from as far back as I can remember. Spent a lot of my childhood on Lake Hartwell with my grandfather or my parents and never met a creek I didn’t like. I have always been attracted to water and the inhabitants within. I have served the public for most of my adult life including 4 years in the US Army (Communications) and 6 years in the US Coast Guard Res./Aux. (Marine Security/Environmental) along with stints as a Paramedic, Law Enforcement Officer and the Fire Department (HAZMAT TEAM). I’ve been on staff at Auburn University since April of 2006. I’ve been married to my lovely wife Amy for 22 years and have two fabulous daughters Rebecca, 20,  and Julie, 16.

Mike working with the Renew Our Rivers program to clean up Lake Martin

2. Why did you get involved with AWW?
At the time I was in the USCG and wanted to have a better understanding of the AWW Water Chemistry program. From there I decided to become more active. Water quality in Alabama is very, very important. We have an abundance of water in various forms, including the Gulf of Mexico. Monitors provide the data (or ammunition) for advocacy groups to advance the cause of water quality and the protection of our most important natural resource.

Mike monitoring a site near Auburn
Mike monitoring a site near Auburn

3. What is the best outcome you have seen, or the thing you have liked most about your experience with AWW?
The best “outcome” so far has been the Mill Creek Watershed Management Plan. Watching how our data helped to advance water quality in a urban/rural setting through local citizen engagement has been exciting. My experiences with AWW continue to grow each day.

Mike protecting Alabama waters with his trusty spear!

4. When did you get involved with AWW? 2009

5. What are your favorite pastimes?
Outdoorsman, travel, advocacy.

6. What is your favorite waterbody?
The AWWSOME Gulf of Mexico!

Mike with his wife Amy enjoying Alabama's beautiful coastal waters.
Mike with his wife Amy enjoying Alabama’s beautiful coastal waters.