A Step by Step Guide to Customize Your Canvas Dashboard
All your current, past, and future courses appear under the Courses page (click “Courses” on left then “All Courses” within Canvas). Since Auburn has no plans to remove Canvas courses, after almost seven years, some faculty may have numerous courses. The large number of courses can make searching for a specific course difficult. To assist in quickly finding your current courses(s), you may Star individual courses so they appear on your Dashboard. Please note: Only open, non-concluded courses can be Starred for the Dashboard.
View All Courses and Customize Your Dashboard
1. Within Canvas, click on Courses on the left to expand the Courses menu, then click “All Courses”.
2. This is your full course list, which includes current, past, and future courses. Click on the star to add a course to your dashboard– please note, only current courses may be starred. Courses with an orange star will appear on your dashboard, courses with a white star will be hidden.
3. Click on Dashboard to return to your dashboard. Your orange-starred classes will now be displayed.
Customize Course Image
The card displayed for your course on the Dashboard can be customized to show an image that you choose. This helps students quickly find your course while adding a splash of color and interest to your course.
1. To change the image, select the course you would like to customize. Click on the course to open that course page.
2. Scroll down and select “Settings” from the menu on the left.
3. On the top of the Course Details page, click the “Choose Image” box.
4. You may now select an image from your computer by dragging into into the top box, or use the search box to select an image from Flickr. The Flickr images may be used without fear of copyright as they are part of Creative Commons.
5. Once you have selected an image, scroll down and click the “Update Course Details” button on the bottom of the page.
6. Your image is now loaded. Your course’s custom picture will be displayed on the Canvas Dashboard for both you and your students.
Last modified: May 22, 2018