Submit Grades from Canvas to Banner
Students expect that the grades they see in Canvas are an accurate reflection of their progress in class. Faculty may find it cumbersome to maintain accurate final grades in Canvas, only to have to submit them into Banner as an additional step. Now with the “Submit Grades” tool, instructors can submit Midterm / Early Alert and Final grades without entering each grade into Banner individually. If you do not use Canvas, you can always submit grades through Banner. However, your students would appreciate if you did use Canvas.
Note: We recommend using Firefox to submit grades, as Chrome can potentially have some issues.
Only the Instructors of Record for a course in Banner can use the Submit Grades tool.
How to Submit Grades from Canvas to Banner
1. Follow these directions to set up a Grading Scheme in Canvas. In addition to the 100-point or percentage grading scheme, both 10- and 9-point grading scheme are also available, or you can create your own. However, do not use either plus(+) or minus(-) in the scheme as only A, B, C, D, F, and FA are accepted.
Note: If you do not setup a grading scheme, you can still enter the grades in Canvas to send to Banner– they’re just not auto-filled in.
2. Once the grading scheme is selected, click “Submit Grades” in the navigation menu on the left (1). From this screen, you can choose to submit Midterm Grades (2), also used for Early Alert, or Final Grades (3).
3. Once you have chosen Midterm Grades or Final Grades, the student names are listed with the following information: (1) current grade, which is what students see and does not include Hidden/Muted grades, (2) submission status (check means submitted successfully to Banner), (3) the letter grade, which can be changed on this screen, (4) the optional extension date.
Once the grades are correct, click Submit (5) to transfer them to Banner.
4. After submitting, totals for both successful and unsuccessful submissions appear at the top. If a submission is successful, the Submitted column will be checked. If an error occurs, the error will be listed under the student name. Submit as many times as needed until grades are rolled in Banner. Grades are rolled by the Office of the Registrar at 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. during the early period of grading and more often as graduation approaches.
5. If you want to double check your grades in Banner, visit the Faculty Grade Entry portal at aub.ie/fge. From the grades portal, you can view the letter grades sent from Canvas. Additional help on Banner grade entry is available on the Banner Grades Entry help page.
Last modified: August 6, 2020