Teaching a Laboratory Section
Each department which offers laboratory sections will have specific guidelines and safety protocols. Usually, GTA’s lead laboratory sections where theories and ideas introduced in a lecture are demonstrated by the GTA and practiced by the students. GTA’s who work in labs must demonstrate safety and scientific methods and help students discover scientific principles. Being a GTA in a lab can be hard, but rewarding work.
Some Tips for Lab GTA’s:
* Summarize the theory and procedure briefly before the students begin the lab.
* Demonstrate new techniques.
* Relate the lab to the lecture and to real world applications.
* Be willing to help and answer questions.
* Walk around and check with students to make sure that they are making progress.
* Ask questions that make students think more deeply about what they are doing and why.
(based on what students indicate they appreciate in lab GTA’s from the University of Washington)
Last modified: March 8, 2017