Canvas-to-Banner Midterm and Final Grades
Unless otherwise noted, links within this help guide go to additional help guide pages. These are not links to the specific section in your own course.
1) Set up the gradebook. If you need help ensuring Canvas is accurately calculating your student’s grades based on your syllabus, please call us at (334) 844-5181 and we’ll go through each step together. Then follow the tutorial for creating a grading scheme. Beside each student’s grade in the gradebook should be the corresponding letter grade.
2) Once the grading scheme is accurate, then export the gradebook.
3) For your spreadsheet to import into the Faculty Grade Entry site, three components are necessary: Student ID (Banner ID or GID), Term Code, and CRN. The Term Code and CRN fields can be found under the Faculty Grade Entry page located at aub.ie/fge.
Open the CSV spreadsheet and change the following:
- Student ID: Rename “SIS Login ID” to “Student ID”.
- Term Code: Create a new column called “Term Code” and enter the 6-digit term code for each student. If you click the bottom-right dot in Excel, you can drag the field down to autopopulate the cells.
- CRN: Create a new column called “CRN.” Enter the 5-digit CRN for each student.
- If you feel uncomfortable with any of these instructions, please contact Biggio Tech
- Note: If you have cross-listed sections (i.e., multiple sections in one course), then we recommend filtering one section at a time. Filter one section, add the CRNs, then filter each additional section, adding CRNs as needed. Each student needs the correct CRN for the import to work correctly.
- Final Grade: Double-check to see the Grade has the correct letter grade.
- Save: Save as an XLSX file. CSV files are not supported.
4) Navigate to aub.ie/fge – the Faculty Grade Entry portal. Once at Faculty Grade Entry section, select the course for which to submit grades. Then click the Tools icon at the top right, followed by Import.
5) The import wizard will appear. Follow the prompts to upload and import your grades.
- Click the white box to the left of “Upload” and select your XLSX file. Click Open to add the file name to the Browse box
- Click Upload. A progress bar will show towards the bottom, then disappear. Click Continue once it’s disappeared.
- On the preview screen, verify that your data has been properly imported and visually correct. Click Continue.
- On the mapping screen, ensure your headers are mapped to the four needed components: Student ID, CRN, Term Code, and Midterm/Final Grade.
- If not, click the drop-down menu for the mismatched header and choose the correct component. Click Continue when green checkmarks appear next to each.
- If you received an error when importing the grades you can download a validation report. One example of an error would be trying to import a spreadsheet into the wrong roster in Faculty Grade Entry.
- Click Download the Validation Report. Open the report and view any errors under the Error title.
- If you would like a copy for your own records, download the Validation Report.
- Once validated, click Continue in Faculty Grade Entry.
- Click Finish to import the grades.
6) Click on the course in the Faculty Grade Entry section to make sure the information was imported correctly
Last modified: April 9, 2020