Dr. George Cheng
Forest Products Development Center, School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences, Auburn University
520 Devall Drive, Auburn, AL, 36849
Phone: (334) 844-1089
Expertise: Cellulose Nanomaterials, Forest Products, Forest Operations & Harvesting
Dr. Cheng plan and conduct research and service related to trees and lumber quality, biomaterials (OSB, CLT, micro/nanocellulose). Manage the labs, graduate students and research scholars.
He earned his Ph.D. in Natural Resources (nanocellulose and nanocomposites) from the University of Tennessee. Dr. Cheng is focusing on the utilization of woody biomass for development of sustainable bioproducts and biofuels. He is preparing to teach 2 undergraduate classes in Sustainable Biomaterials and Packaging as the instructor. His research experience and interests include process, non-destructive testing, microstructure, mechanical property and durability of trees, logs, solid wood, cross laminated timber (CLT), wood-plastic composites, OSB, MDF, and other natural fiber reinforced composites; isolation and characterization of cellulosic nanofibers, cellulosic nanocrystals, and their bio-based nanocomposites; bio-based composites from biofuels fermentation residues; nano-scale mechanical testing; and other sustainable biomaterials from woody-biomass.
- Mechanical and Physical Properties of OSB Exposed to High Temperature and Relative Humidity and Coupled with NIR Modeling. Q. Cheng, C. Zhou, W. Jiang, X. Zhao, B. Via, H Wan. 2017. Forest Products Journal (Online).
- Multivariate modeling of acoustomechanical response of 14-year-old suppressed loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) to variation in wood chemistry, microfibril angle and density. C. Essien, B. Via, Q. Cheng, T. Gallagher, T. McDonald, X. Wang. 2017. Wood Science and Technology 51 (3), 475-492.
- Preparation and Characterization of Epoxy Resin Cross-Linked with High Wood Pyrolysis Bio-Oil Substitution by Acetone Pretreatment. Y. Liu, B. Via, Y. Pan, Q. Cheng, H. Guo, M.L. Auad, S. Taylor. 2017. Polymers 9 (3), 106.
- Potential of near infrared spectroscopy to monitor variations in soluble sugars in Loblolly pine seedlings after cold acclimation. Zhao, X., B. Hui, L. Hu, Q. Cheng, B. Via, R. Nadel, T. Starkey, S. Enebak. 2017. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 232, 536-542.
- Soy-substituted liquid phenol formaldehyde binders for flakeboard. W. Hand, Q. Cheng, B. Via, S. Banerjee. 2017. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products. 75 (1), 135-138.
- Characterization of cellulose fibril aggregates isolated by the combination of ultrasonication and homogenizer. Q. Cheng, B.K. Via. 2017. Wood Material Science and Engineering. 12(4), 197-202. DOI:10.1080/17480272.2015.1124919.
- Characterization of Epoxy Composites Reinforced with Wax Encapsulated Microcrystalline Cellulose. Y. Pan, Y. Pan, Q. Cheng, Y. Liu, C. Essien, B.K. Via, X. Wang, R. Sun. S. Taylor. 2016. Polymers. 8(12), 415; DOI:10.3390/polym8120415
- An Acoustics Operations Study for Loblolly Pine (Pinus taeda) Standing Saw Timber with Different Thinning History. C. Essien, Q. Cheng, B.K. Via, E.F. Loewenstein, X. Wang. 2016. BioResources. 11(3), 7512-7521.
- Surface Coating of Microcrystalline Cellulose with Surfactants and Paraffin Wax. Y. Pan, Y. Liu, Q. Cheng, Y. Liu, Y. Celikbag, B.K. Via, X. Wang, R. Sun. 2016. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products. DOI: 10.1007/s00107-016-1030-5.
- Multivariate Calibration and Model Integrity for Wood Chemistry Using Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy. C. Zhou, W. Jiang, Q. Cheng, B.K. Via. 2015. Journal of Analytical Methods in Chemistry.
- Surface photo-discoloration and degradation of dyed wood veneer exposed to different wavelengths of artificial light. Y. Liu, L. Shao, J. Gao, H. Guo, Y. Chen, Q. Cheng, B. Via. 2015. Applied Surface Science. 331, 353-361.
- Wood Veneer Dyeing Enhancement by Ultrasonic-assisted Treatment. Y. Liu, J. Hu, J. Gao, H. Guo, Y. Chen, Q. Cheng, B. Via. 2015. BioRes. 10 (1), 1198-1212.
- Primary study of woody biomass and coal for energy production investigated by TGA-FTIR analysis. Q. Cheng, B. Via, J. Wang and J. Zondlo. 2014. BioRes. 9(2), 2899-2906.
- Melt dispersion technique for preparing paraffin wax microspheres for cellulose encapsulation. Y. Pan, S. Sun, Q. Cheng, Y. Celikbag, B. Via, X. Wang and R. Sun. 2014. Wood and Fiber Science. 46(4), pp.1-6.
- Interfacial Properties of Loblolly Pine Bonded with Epoxy/Wood Pyrolysis Bio-oil Blended System. Y. Liu, J. Gao, H. Guo, Y. Pan, C. Zhou, Q. Cheng, B. Via. 2014. BioRes. 10 (1), 638-646.
- The effect of layer moisture content distribution on lumber surface and bonding interface properties. X. Zhang, Q. Cheng, Sun, L., M. Xu and B. Via, B. 2014. BioRes. 10(1), 68-78.
- The Influence of Repeated Thermal Shock on the Mechanical Properties of Mongolia Scotch Pine and Moso Bamboo. S. Wang, B. Xie, Q. Cheng, B. Via, M. Xu and H. Zhao. 2014. BioRes. 9(4), 7382-7388.
- Green Composites of Poly (lactic acid) and Sugarcane Bagasse Residues from Bio-refinery Processes. L. Wang, Z. Tong, L.O. Ingram, Q. Cheng and S. Matthews. 2013. Journal of Polymers and the Environment. DOI: 10.1007/s10924-013-0601-3. 21(3): 780-788.
- Disk Refining and Ultrasonication Treated Sugarcane Bagasse Residues for Poly(Vinyl Alcohol) Bio-Composites. Q. Cheng, Z. Tong, L. Dempere, L. Ingram, L. Wang and J. Zhu. 2013. Journal of Polymers and the Environment. DOI: 10.1007/s10924-012-0562-y. 21(3): 648-657.
- Assessments of coal and biomass to liquid fuels in central Appalachia, USA. J. Wu, J. Wang, Q. Cheng and D. DeVallance. 2012. International Journal of Energy Research, 36(7), 856-870.
- Bioenergy properties of juvenile hybrid poplars and their parent species. A. Adebayo, J. Wang, Q. Cheng and S. Difazio. 2011. Wood and Fiber Science. 43(4):
- Water retention value measurements of cellulosic materials using a centrifuge technique. Q. Cheng, J. Wang, J. McNeel and P.M. Jacobson. 2010. BioRes. 5(3), 1945-1954.
- Microstructural changes in wood plastic composites due to wetting and re-drying evaluated by X-ray microtomography. Q. Cheng, L. Muszynski, S.M. Shaler and J. Wang. 2010. Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation. 29(4), 207-213.
- Tensile and Impact Properties of Steam-Exploded Wood Polypropylene Composites. Q. Cheng, T. Neimsuwan, S. Wang and J. Wang. 2010. Wood and Fiber Science. 42(2), 158-164.
- Novel process for isolating fibrils from cellulose fibers by high intensity ultrasonication. II: Fibril characterization. Q. Cheng, S. Wang and Q. Han. 2010. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 115(5), 2756–2762.
- Moisture movement in wood polypropylene composites. European Q. Cheng and S.M. Shaler. 2010. Journal of Wood and Wood Products. 68: 463-468.
- Poly(vinyl alcohol) nanocomposites reinforced with cellulose fibrils isolated by high intensity ultrasonication. Q. Cheng, S. Wang and T.G. Rials. 2009. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing. 40, 218-224.
- Effects of process and source on elastic modulus of single cellulose fibrils evaluated by atomic force microscopy. Q. Cheng, S. Wang and D.P. Harper. 2009. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing. 40, 583-588.
- A novel process to isolate fibrils from cellulose fibers by high intensity ultrasonication. Part I: Process optimization. S. Wang, and Q. Cheng. 2009. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 113(2): 1270–1275.
- Fabrication optimization of polypropylene composites reinforced with steam-exploded wood flour by wet process. Q. Cheng, S. Wang, T.G. Rials, K. Kit and M. Hansen. 2009. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products. 67(4): 449-455.
- Mechanical performances of wood plastic composites due to extended water immersion. Q. Cheng, J. Wang and S.M. Shaler. 2009. Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials. 22: 321-333.
- Preparation and characterization of composite membrane of polysulfone and microcrystalline cellulose. L. Zhang, G. Chen, H. Tang, Q. Cheng and S. Wang. 2009. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 112: 550-556.
- Long-term drying behavior, dimension, and weight changes due to moisture cycling in wood polypropylene composite. Q. Cheng, and J. Wang. 2009. Forest Products Journal. 59(9): 51-54.
- A method for testing the elastic modulus of single cellulose fibrils via atomic force microscopy. Q. Cheng and S. Wang. 2008. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing. 39, 1838-1843.
- Physical and mechanical properties of polyvinyl alcohol and polypropylene composite materials reinforced with fibril aggregates isolated from regenerated cellulose fiber. Q. Cheng, S. Wang, T. Rials and S.H. Lee. 2007. Cellulose, 14(6), 593-602.
- Lyocell-derived cellulose microfibril/nanofibril and its biodegradable nanocompsites. Cheng, Q., S. Wang, D. Zhou, Y. Zhang and T. Rials. 2007. Journal of Nanjing Forestry University, 31(4), P21-26
- . Recent research on nanocomposites reinforced by natural cellulosic micro/nanofibrils. Cheng, Q. and S. Wang. 2007China Forest Products Industry. 34(3), P3-7.
- The developmental potential of artificial panel from agricultural residuals. Q. Cheng. 2001. China Wood-Based Panels. 4, P10-11.
- Straw-based composite panels: Attributes, issues and UF bonding technology. W. Wasylciw, S. Wang and Q. Cheng. China Wood-Based Panels. 11, P12-18 (Translate and Edit from SUAF Proceedings, 2001:24-33).
- Analysis of influence factors using infrared moisture meter on MDF production line. X. Lu, Q. Cheng and W. Ma. 2000. China Wood Industry, 14(1), P30-34.
- Study on Particleboard Reinforced with Fiberglass Binds. Q. Cheng and R. Lu. 1998. China Wood Industry, 12(3), P10-13.
- A Preliminary Study on Influence of Particleboard properties with Different Reinforcing Materials. Q. Cheng, 1997. China Wood Industry, 11(3), P15-17.
- The Methods of Reinforcing Particleboard. Q. Cheng, Y. Liu and A. Xu. 1995. China Wood, 6, P28-30.
Book And Book Chapters
- “Fiber-Reinforced Composites”, Q Cheng. 2012. Editor. ISBN 978-1-61470-303-7, published by Nova Science Publishers Inc., New York.
- “Poly(Vinyl Alcohol) Cellulose Nanocomposites”, In: Technological Advancement in Polymer Nanocomposites of Cellulose Nano-Particle: Processing, Performance and Applications (J.K.Pandey, H. Takagi, A.N. Nakagaito and H.J. Kim eds.), Q. Cheng, S. Wang, Z. Tong. 2015. Pages: 433-447, Springer-Verlag GmbH.
- “Poly(Vinyl Alcohol) Nanocomposites Reinforced with Cellulosic Nanofibers Isolated from Juvenile Poplar”, In: “Fiber-Reinforced Composites” (Q Cheng, ed.), J. Wang, Q. Cheng, A.B. Adebayo and S. Difazio. 2012. ISBN 978-1-61470-303-7, Nova Science Publishers Inc., New York. p. 91-103.
- “Advanced Cellulosic Composite Materials: Nanocomposites, Wood-Plastic Composites and Others”, in the book “Advances in Composite Materials for Medicine and Nanotechnology”, Q. Cheng, D. DeVallance, J. Wang and S. Wang. 2011. ISBN 978-953-307-235-7, Editor: Brahim Attaf. INTECH, p. 547-564.
- “Mechanical properties of cellulosic materials at micro- and nanoscale levels”, Chapter 19 of the book “Cellulose: Structure and Properties, Derivatives and Industrial Uses”, Editors: Arnaud Lejeune and Thibaut Deprez. S. Wang, S.H. Lee and Q. Cheng. 2010. Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York, p. 459-500.
- Forest Products Society (FPS)
- Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
Journals As Invited Reviewer
- Biomass and Bioenergy
- Wood and Fiber Science
- Forest Products Journal
- European Journal of Wood and Wood Products
- Materials Science and Engineering: A
- Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacyuring
- Composites Part B: Engineering
- eXPRESS Polymer Letters
- Journal of Materials Science
- Journal of Composite Materials
- Journal of Petroleum and Gas Engineering
- Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials
Last modified: August 29, 2017