Alabama Takes Iron Cup 2013

Aubie watches the game


This weekend Auburn and Alabama took the ice in the third annual Iron Cup. The match up brought out a large crowd to
the Pelham Civic Complex both Friday and Saturday night.
Friday’s crowd included a special guest from Auburn, as Aubie was on hand to cheer on the team and mingle with the many Auburn fans.

Friday’s game turned out to be Auburn’s best showing against
the much more experienced Frozen Tide to date. This marked improvement from year to year shows the young Auburn club’s growth as a team and organization.



Alabama came out strong scoring a quick goal to start off Friday night’s game. Auburn answered with a goal from #28 Dion Moore assisted by #21 Evan Barber at 10:42 in the first. After one period, the score was tied 1-1.

The Frozen Tide struck quickly again at the start of the second, scoring two goals in the first four minutes of the period. Alabama would score again with nine minutes left in the second, making the
score 4-1.

#25 Armin Gierow takes a shot

Although Auburn was unable to find the back of the net in the second, they came out determined in the third and scored two goals within the first minute. Both goals were scored by Tigers’ captain #3 Trevor Hightower. This cut Alabama’s lead to 4-3. The Frozen Tide then answered with two goals making the score 6-3 with 7 minutes left in the game.

The Auburn Tigers weren’t ready to give up and got a goal from #13 Will Cancilla assisted by #14 Sonny MacCurrach and #21 Evan Barber at 16:05 putting the Tigers back within 2 goals. Auburn then pulled goalie Miles Bishop for an extra attacker. Alabama took advantage and scored an empty net goal. With only six seconds remaining in the game Auburn’s #6 Jake Redfearn scored a goal, assisted by #8 Sean Kemp and #13 Will Cancilla, making the final score 7-5.


#21 Evan Barber

Auburn didn’t fare as well in the rematch on Saturday.
The game started out in a similar fashion to Friday’s with Alabama picking up a quick goal and Auburn answering with a goal at the 10 minute mark. Only this time it was #21 Evan Barber who scored for the Tigers. Alabama would score another goal and the first period ended with the Frozen Tide up 2-1.

The second period was looking up for the Tigers when captain Trevor Hightower tied the game at 2 with his third goal in two games. With 14 minutes left in the second, Alabama scored and regained the lead 3-2. The Frozen Tide would add another goal before the end of the period, taking a 4-2 lead into intermission.

Despite scoring four goals in the third period of Friday’s game, Auburn was unable to find the back of the net on Saturday. Alabama added four goals in the third to defeat the Tigers 8-2.


With an attendance of 1,800 Friday and 3,500 on Saturday, Auburn would like to thank the many fans that came out to support the team this weekend.


Auburn will travel to Knoxville to face-off against the University of Tennessee on January 25th and 26th.