The Kreher Preserve & Nature Center will remain open. Governor Ivey’s safer-at-home order permits Alabama residents “to engage in outdoor activity.”
Information about specific KPNC programs may be found below. Please contact us with any questions or concerns.
The Nature Center is an unconfined, outdoor environment, naturally less conducive to the virus. An abundance of space makes social distancing inherent to all activities and hinders the spread of the virus. All surfaces are exposed to environmental conditions, diminishing the survival of the virus outside the body. And, sanitizing and disinfecting are inherent to our daily operation so significant protections againt the virus are already in place.
The following steps are encouraged for all visitors to the KPNC:
- Frequent hand washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- No hand contact with face, eyes, nose, mouth, etc.
- No close contact with others. A minimum distance of 6 feet must be maintained.
- Absolutely no gatherings are permitted.
- Anyone having a fever within the last 14 days will not be allowed on the property.
- All surfaces will be disinfected frequently.
Trails & Features
All trails and features remain open.
Monthly Free Guided Hikes
The Family Discovery Hikes and Nature Walks will be conducted as scheduled, every month, free to the public. Face masks are required but once the hike begins, masks may be removed so long as social distancing can be maintained.
The nature playground is opened. Social distancing is required. Children from different households should not play on the same piece of equipment at the same time. Parents and families should bring sanitary wipes for equipment and wash children’s hands frequently.
Enrollment is open for the 2020/21 school year. Class starts August 17th and we are planning to meet at the Nature Center with additional precautions in place to reduce virus transmission. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Forest Friends, Tree Tots, Nature Explorers, Nature Babies
- Enrollment is open for Tree Tots and Forest Friends fall sessions. Classes start Sept 17th & 18th respectively, with added precautions. Face masks are required but once class begins, masks may be removed so long as social distancing can be maintained.
- Nature Babies is meeting weekly with added precautions. Face masks are required but once the hike starts, masks may be removed so long as social distancing can be maintained.
Registration will open for Fall Camp soon. All camps will have added precautions to include dividing students into smaller groups, temperature and symptom checks at drop-off, and mask requirements for students and counselors.
School Field Trips
School field trips will not be cancelled unless cancelled by the school. Added precautions for KPNC teachers will be implemented as listed above.
Birthday Parties & Facility Rentals
Birthday parties and facility rentals may be scheduled as normal. Party themes will implement added precautions depending on current CDC guidelines. Guests participate at their own risk.
- Science on Saturdays: Raptors – will proceed as scheduled on Aug 22 with added precautions. Temperatures and symptoms will be checked upon entry and face masks will be required for all participants over 6 years old. Maximum attendance has been reduced to 50 and social distancing will be enforced.
- AUsome Amphibians & Reptiles Show – TBD
- Halloween Enchanted Forest – will proceed as scheduled on Oct 9 & 10 with added precautions. Temperatures and symptoms will be checked upon entry, face masks will be required for all participants over 6 years old, and social distancing will be enforced.
- Fall Family Fun Day – TBD
- HoHoHo Hike – TBD
The time frame for these added precautions will depend on Auburn University and the development of the Coronavirus. Updates will be made to this page if there are changes.
updated 2020-08-04 8:00 AM CT