Auburn University Student Counseling & Psychological Services (SCPS)Required Prior Doctoral Program Preparation and Experiences
If a candidate believes they would be a good fit for the SCPS training program but have not yet met one of the minimum requirements, such as the direct client hours, the candidate is still encouraged to apply. The cover letter can address how they are a good fit for the training program despite not yet meeting a requirement.
- completed a minimum of at least 500 direct hours in which at least 400 of those hours are doctoral hours of intervention (excluding assessment);
- passed comprehensive exams;
- experience with individual therapy and assessment (no specific assessments have to have been completed)
- previous university or college counseling center experience;
- completion of at least one graduate-level diversity course;
- completion of a supervision class, preferably that included an experiential component of actually providing supervision;
- completion of a group counseling class, preferably that included an experiential component of co-leading a group,
- proposal of dissertation by the interview date;
- experience with outreach presentations.