SGA meets Governor Ivey

Posted on May 11, 2017 by Jennings Bowden

SGA was honored to present Kay Ivey, a 1967 Auburn University graduate, a commendation on becoming the Governor of Alabama.

Ivey served Auburn in many capacities on campus including being a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, the Student Government Association, and even a participant in the first Alpha Psi Rodeo.

While in Auburn’s SGA, Ivey served as a Senator her Freshman and Sophomore year, SGA Secretary, a top five Miss Homecoming candidate, and was Auburn’s first female Vice President. She ran five campus wide campaigns during her four years at Auburn University.

Ivey’s main initiatives in SGA included starting the Student Orientation Program, now known as Camp War Eagle, and enlarging the student Senate to have representatives from each of the colleges.

We asked Governor Kay Ivey if she has anything she would like to say to the Auburn Family, she replied, “Learn and practice the Auburn Creed.”

When asked if she had a favorite line, she couldn’t pick just one:

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.”

I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.”

And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.”

Governor Ivey, thank you for taking the time to speak with us. War Eagle!

By Jennings Bowden

Executive Vice President of Communications and Marketing, SGA