Student Spotlight: Morgan Gaston

Meet Morgan: Morgan Gaston after being crowned Homecoming Queen.

Morgan is the newly elected Miss Homecoming of Auburn University. She was born and raised in Guntersville, Ala., and is a senior studying exercise science. Aside from her responsibilities as Miss Homecoming, Morgan is also a member of Project Uplift, a social sorority, Auburn Cru, International Buddies Program, intramural sports, as well as a regular bible study.

Why did you want to be Miss Homecoming?

I wanted to make Auburn University a better place for international students! Auburn is always changing, molding, and becoming better. This was an area where I could visualize Auburn’s improvement. It is tangible, and it is achievable.

How did you get involved with your platform?

I went to China last summer where I was welcomed with such kindness, I never felt out of place. I knew that I hadn’t provided the same experience for our international students, so I joined the International Buddy Program and got involved with the international students here in Auburn. From this, I became more aware of the problems they faced here on a daily basis.

What are your goals for the term?

Morgan Gaston on the field after being crowned Homecoming QueenI am currently working with Campus Dining and the International Student Organization to extend the ISO social hours that have traditionally been on Fridays at 4p.m. We are trying to make them better known and accessible, while also trying to help expand what they already have going on. Also, some groups on campus have already established an international liaison, which was the goal of the campaign, in their campus organization. We are meeting with the Student Government Association’s inclusion and diversity officers to further this initiative further on campus and throughout more organizations. These liaisons bring international students to events and meetings and make the feel more involved in those organization and on campus as a whole.

How did you decide to come to Auburn?

I actually grew up as an Alabama fan, but, after one visit, I was captivated by the Auburn family and culture. It was the way that Auburn felt like home.

What is something that most people don’t know about you?

I was once in a rock slide while trying to summit a mountain, Mount Shasta, in northern California. It was actually a very close call.

What are your hopes after graduation?

I am going to University of Alabama in Birmingham next year for Physical Therapy school! That will be 3 years, and then I’m hoping to find a job in an Outpatient facility (maybe here in Auburn!).

Written by: Grace Fabyan