Thanks to the efforts of Parking Services, we can officially welcome you to the War Eagle Bike Share. We hope you’ll create an account, grab a helmet, and hop on for a spin around our Bicycle Friendly University and the loveliest village on the Plains!
Whether you’re in town for a day or here studying all year, taking a ride on a bike can generate many positive outcomes. A few of the benefits include:
- Getting “rock star” parking. With over 17 bike hubs on campus and downtown, and bike racks outside nearly every campus building, you’ll essentially be within a short walking distance of your destination.
- Giving your brain and mood a boost. Studies show biking can sharpen your memory, improve concentration, create more fluid thinking, and enhance problem-solving ability and your brain capacity. A quick pedal can also elevate your mood, relieve anxiety, increase stress resistance, and even banish the blues.
- Saving money. With the bike share, car share, and Tiger Transit, you can easily make your way around Auburn without a car; saving you driving miles, gas, and the cost of parking permit. Even if you do have your car here, you can still save the cost of gas and wear and tear on your vehicle by hopping on a bike to get to your destination.
- Protecting the planet. Anytime you can power your transportation needs without fossil fuels, you’re preventing pollution from climate changing gases and compounds that harm the quality of the air we breathe. Plus, you’re minimizing the impact from extracting and processing the fossil fuels, minimizing water pollution from fluids leaking, lowering noise pollution, and helping Auburn reach it’s 2050 climate neutrality goal, to name just a few of the positive environmental impacts!
- Improving your overall health. Cycling provides a low-impact workout that helps improve the functioning of your cardiovascular system, while also benefiting your muscles, bones, and joints.
Not to mention, sharing is caring and fun, but you don’t have to take our word for it…
In order to use the War Eagle Bike Share, you must first create an account through Social Bicycles. You can create the account on the Social Bicycles website or through the Social Bicycles Apple or Android app on your mobile device.
To set up an account you will need to provide or create the following:
- Full Name
- Account Password
- Phone Number
- Credit Card Information
You will also need to agree to the rental terms, and create a 4-digit PIN, which you will use every time you rent a bike.
While you will be required to provide a credit card to establish an account, it will only be charged if you elect to pre-load your Social Bicycle account with funds; you go over the 2-hours free daily allotment; or you incur other penalties as outlined in the rental terms (i.e. – locking outside a hub, locking outside the boundary).
Once you confirm your account via the email sent to you from Social Bicycles, you’ll be a part of not only the War Eagle Bike Share, but your account will provide easy and quick access to other Social Bicycles networks across the United States once you agree to the respective network’s rental terms.
Ready to ride, but unsure of how to start? We’ve got you covered with the bike share basics below. Be sure to check out the FAQ sections for more detailed info, if you don’t find what you’re looking for below.
Checking Out a Bike without a Reservation
- Go to any War Eagle Bike Share hub and look for an available bike. Bikes in repair, reserved, or held will say so on their keypad screens.
- Enter your account number. Your account number can be found via the person icon in the upper right-hand corner of your app or in the middle at top of the screen on the web interface.
- Enter the 4-digit PIN you created during your account setup. If you need to be reminded of your PIN or would like to change it, you can do so through the account feature on either the app or the web.
- Remove the bike lock.
- Look the bike over for damage, adjust the seat as needed, hop on, and take off (hopefully with a helmet on your head).
- When you arrive at your destination, lock the bike, and select DONE, HOLD, or REPAIR. If you are finished with your ride, be sure the bike is locked at a hub and select DONE. If you are only making a temporary stop, you can select HOLD to keep the bike checked out exclusively for you for an additional 30 minutes. If the bike needs to be serviced in any way, select REPAIR.
Checking Out a Bike with a Reservation
- Open the app or web interface, and select the hub from which you want to reserve a bike. Green hubs show the number of bikes currently available; greyed out hubs have no bikes available; and blue bikes are locked out of a hub and eligible for the $1 return credit.
- To reserve a bike at your chosen hub, select RESERVE A BIKE AT THIS HUB and then hit CONFIRM.
- Once confirmed, you’ll see the number of the bike (XXX AU) that is reserved for you, along with a button to report the bike as broken. In addition, you’ll have 1 minute to cancel your reservation without the time counting toward your daily limit/rental fee.
- After the minute free cancellation period has passed, you’ll see the 15-minute reservation clock counting down. This is how long the bike will be held for you, with the time going against your daily limit/rental fee.
- When you arrive at the hub, look for your bike by locating the number on the bike just below the seat.
- On the keypad, it will indicate the bike is reserved, ask if you reserved it, and give you an option to select UNLOCK. Select UNLOCK by touching the button below the screen to make your selection, as the screens are NOT touchscreens.
- You will then be prompted to enter your four-digit PIN. If you need to be reminded of your PIN, select the person icon in the upper right-hand corner of your app; then, select account to display your information.
- Remove the bike lock, look the bike over for damage, make any needed adjustments to the seat, and head off for your ride! For added safety, be sure to wear a helmet.
- When you arrive at your destination and lock the bike, you will be able to select DONE, HOLD, or REPAIR. If you are finished with your ride, be sure the bike is locked at a hub and select DONE. If you are only making a temporary stop, you can select HOLD to keep the bike checked out exclusively for you for an additional 30 minutes. If the bike needs to be serviced in any way, select REPAIR.
You can travel anywhere you would like with a War Eagle Bike Share bike, but there are some key areas to keep in mind while cruising around.
- To avoid the $50 locking up outside of the system area fee, you must make certain you are within the beige area on the map below when locking the bicycle.
- To avoid the $5 locking up outside a hub fee, you must lock up within one of the officially designated hub locations, indicated by the markers on the map.
Still have questions? We have answers to the most commonly asked questions below. Of course, you can also reach out to Parking Services for more information.
Who do I contact if I want to appeal a charge to my account?
You can either submit a message through the app or send an email to War Eagle Bike Share Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I check out more than one bike at a time?
No, you can only check out one bike at a time. If someone would like to join you for a ride, s/he will need to create an account.
Is there an age limit on who can use the bike share?
While there is technically not an age limit, we prefer the person be at least age 12. You also want to be certain the individual fits the bicycle and can safely operate it.
Can I ride the bike at night?
Yes. All bikes are equipped with a headlight, taillight, and bell for your safety, and to make them legal to ride at night in the state of Alabama.
I understand I receive 2 free riding hours per day, but when does the day start over?
The 2 hours free per day is reset at midnight local time.
If I go over the 2 hours free per day will the $5 hourly rental fee be prorated for how long I actually have the bicycle checked out?
No, the $5 hourly rental fee is not prorated based on rental time. Therefore, if you ride for 2 hours and 5 minutes for the day, you will be charged $5 for the extra hour of rental time even though you only had the bike for 5 minutes over the 2 free daily hours.
Is there a maximum daily rental time?
There is no maximum daily rental time, as long as you are willing to pay the $5/hour rental charge after the first 2 free rental hours.
What is the maximum daily charge for a bike rental? Does this maximum include penalty fees?
The maximum daily charge for a bike rental is $25.00, but this does NOT include any fees for locking up outside of a hub or the network area.
Is it true you can earn credit on your account?
Yes, it is! If you notice a bicycle that is not currently on hold locked outside of a hub and you use your account to return it to a hub, you’ll receive a $1 credit. You’ll earn the $1 credit for each bike you return to an official War Eagle Bike Share hub with no limit on how many credits you can earn.
How long I can place a bike on hold?
The maximum amount of time you can place a bike on hold is 30 minutes. During this time, no one will be able to take the bike other than you. You will need to use the hold feature when you want to lock the bike up at any location other than a hub. This will allow you to avoid the $5 fee that comes from locking a bike up outside a hub.
If I place my bike on hold, will the time it’s on hold count against my rental?
Yes. Anytime you place a bike on hold, it counts against your daily limit/rental fee.
How far in advance can I reserve a bike?
You can reserve a bike up to 15 minutes ahead of time. During this time, no one will be able to take the bike other than you.
If I reserve a bike, will the time it’s reserved count against my rental?
Yes. Anytime you reserve a bike, it counts against your daily limit/rental fee.
What do I do if the bike needs to be repaired?
You can report the need for ANY repairs to the bike through the keypad on the bike of the bike or through the app.
After you set up an account can you then access all the other Social Bicycle stations in other cities?
Yes, if you go to another campus or city that has a bike share network based on the Social Bicycles platform, you can use the bicycles in that area based on the fee structure for that system and after you’ve accepted that network’s rental agreement.
How do I change my PIN?
You can change your PIN via the account feature on either the app or via the web interface.
Where do I change my credit card information and notification settings?
You can change your payment method and notification settings through the account feature on the web interface. You can also change your password through the account feature on the web or in the app.
Who do I contact if I want to give feedback on the bike share?
Parking Services would be happy to receive feedback via email sent to email@example.com.