Guest Posts

Protecting the Quarterback & Protecting our Earth

By September 5, 2019February 3rd, 2022No Comments

Harrell Marquel Offensive LinemanOffensive lineman Marquel Harrell knows he has an important job when he lines up on the field: protecting the quarterback. That’s a job he puts his heart and soul into, but there is another job he considers equally important off the field: protecting our earth.

“I do my part by taking care of the little things,” Harrell said. “I do not litter, and when I see trash on the ground, I pick it up and throw it away. I make sure I recycle what is supposed to be recycled and do the best I can to help the earth.”

Harrell is a defensive lineman’s worst nightmare as he protects the line with his 6-3, 309 lb. frame. He wants folks who throw their litter on the ground to feel that same size of his disappointment when they do.

“I just don’t understand the purpose of littering,” he said. “I go around and tell folks to clean up their mess, but I see people throwing trash out of their car and I just can’t believe it. You are going somewhere that has a trash can, or you can wait until one is nearby where you can throw everything away.”

Harrell wants to see folks do good for the planet because it is the right thing to do, but he also wants to know that his family has a bright future ahead, not trouble on the horizon.

“I want to see the place cleaner so that my kids and grandkids can grow up in a healthy environment and not be worried about the world being in a crisis so they can grow old,” he said. “The world is warming up and we see the ice caps melting, so we need to take better care of the planet. Let us start here in Auburn or you’ll have to deal with me.”

Contributed by Auburn Athletics Student Communicator