Common Book Writing Contest
All students are invited to participate in a writing contest linked to the 2014-15 Auburn Connects! common book, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba. There will be two categories this year: one for incoming first-year students and one for all other undergraduates (returning students and transfer students).
The Office of University Writing invites written documents of all types (creative, academic, narrative, or research-based) that grow out of or respond to the common book. You are not required to make specific references to the book in your submission, but it should be clear to readers how the book or its themes have inspired the writing you submit.
Criteria for selection include:
- Content clearly inspired by the book
- Consistency of chosen genre
- Style, language, organization, and development appropriate to author’s purpose
- Critical thinking and writing appropriate of college-level students
Prizes for the winners in each category:
- Publication of profiles of winning authors
- Invitation to special events, including a meeting with the author
- Partial textbook scholarships ($300 for first place in each category, $200 for second place in each category)
- Recognition at Convocation
Instructions are detailed on the Common Book Writing Contest Submission Form (Summer 2014).