The Ralph “Shug” Jordan Professorship of Writing
The Office of the Provost invites nominations and applications for an endowed Professorship provided by AU Athletics in the name of Ralph “Shug” Jordan. The purpose of this award is to honor teaching excellence by an Auburn University faculty member who has demonstrated a commitment to student success through effective and innovative writing assignments integrated into the course content. The Professorship thus recognizes a tenured faculty member who has contributed to and focused on improving student writing in the core curriculum and/or the major discipline. The Professorship includes an annual salary supplement which has historically been approximately $12,000 each year.
The faculty member selected for this award is expected to continue his/her contribution to Auburn University’s Writing Initiative by providing leadership at the University level. The recipient of the award will:
- serve on the University Writing Committee (UWC)
- attend the International Writing Across the Curriculum conference (or other appropriate conferences) and prepare a report for the UWC highlighting sessions attended and share major ideas with the faculty at appropriate events (expenses to be paid by the Office of University Writing)
- Prepare and deliver at least one faculty development workshop based on classroom experience or what is learned at the conference attended
- Participate in other Office of University Writing events and projects (including contests, workshops, programs, etc.)
- Promote writing in their home college by facilitating discussions at the departmental or college-wide level as appropriate
- Serve as a resource to faculty in other colleges as requested or appropriate
- Serve on selection committee for subsequent professorship
Nominees must hold at least a 50% teaching assignment in their college and have experience teaching at the undergraduate level at Auburn University.
Submit the application packet as a single PDF file to Margaret Marshall, Director of University Writing, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The nomination or application package consists of:
- Letter of nomination or application clearly outlining the faculty member’s work to promote writing in the disciplines and/or in the core curriculum, relevant activities that have supported the writing initiative, and scholarship related to teaching writing
- At least 3 letters of support, including letters from the department head/chair and dean
- A reflective statement on the importance of student writing in the faculty member’s own courses/career
- Samples of course materials and syllabi that demonstrate the importance of writing in the courses(s)
- Curriculum vitae
- Student evaluations from courses at the undergraduate level for at least three academic years
The document should be named using the nominees’ last name, first name initial, Jordan Professor of Writing (ex: Doe_J_Jordan Professor of Writing).
All application/nomination packets should be submitted on or before March 1, 2017. No applications/nominations will be accepted after that date.